Scam alert linked to Test & Trace
Be Alert to Telephone and Text Scams linked to Test & Trace
Sadly there are always those who seek to exploit a crisis or tragedy for their own gain, and Coronavirus is no exception. As you will know, when a person tests positive for the virus, they are contacted by the Test & Trace team to discover who they have been in close contact with in the period when they were likely to be infectious. Those contacts are then contacted by the team and must self-isolate.
If the genuine NHS Test and Trace team contacts you:
- They will be using a single phone number for calls: 0300 0135 000
- The only website they will ask you to visit is https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk.
Genuine Contact Tracers will never:
- Ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to us (for example, those starting 09 or 087)
- Ask you to make any form of payment
- Ask for any details about your bank account
- Ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts
- Ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone
- Ask you to purchase a product
- Ask you to download any software to your device or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet
- Ask you to access any website that does not belong to the Government or NHS
Not everyone in Cusop has signed up for email alerts so please pass this information on to anyone you think may be vulnerable to this sort of scam. Perhaps you might consider printing the key parts of this warning and giving it to them to put by their telephone?
If you think you have been subjected to, or a victim of, a scam or attempted fraud using Track and Trace or any other fraud please call 101 or contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040
Hereford, Herefordshire, HR3 5RW